Sunday, March 4, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME!




As the weekend winds down, I am reminded that I now have less than 6 weeks until I step on stage to win my PRO CARD with the WBFF!! My how time flies is really all I can think. From what seemed like an unrealistic/extended/long/forever amount of time is now hurdling at me like fast a ball thrown by Nolan Ryan.  I started this journey with 104 days giving me what I deemed plenty of time to achieve all the mental and physical aspects needed to win the GOLDEN TICKET. Now I see that for me, there is no cruise control option because that enables me to get lazy and detour from the plan.  I know I've made great progress over the last 9 weeks, so much so I've almost convinced myself I'm ahead of the game.  This kind of thinking could lead me down a very dirty road I have to constantly tell myself not to take.  Once I start thinking I can cheat here and there because I've done so good and made so much progress, is the day I hand back that PRO CARD I'm so vividly envisioning in my hand on April 14th.
This is no time to be lazy and hit cruise control. I can be lazy is 6 weeks. I can skip a workout in 6 weeks, eat that cupcake, have that glass of wine or run 3 miles instead of 6.  This is not that time. If anything, it's time to throw more embers on the fire and kick it up a notch.  Maybe my competition is getting lazy therefore I am not.  If I listened to what some of my friends and family think, I would believe there is nothing left to improve and they can't imagine what else I could do in 6 weeks. I guess they are a little biased and probably haven't engrossed themselves in the videos of my friendly competitors. Thinking out loud, if I was going to slip up, it should have been many many weeks ago and certainly not 6 weeks out when time is most critical.  My Coach encourages me daily and expresses how proud he is of my progress but he's is definitely not telling me to hit cruise control and coast into first place (is that even possible?). I don't think I've heard him tell me to give 50% during our workout and then recover with some pizza (although I would be torn and perplexed should this happen.... kind of like the shot of vodka he gave me last week). I don't think I heard him endorse 2nd place as 1st place loser, something is better than nothing mentality (nope def. didn't hear that).  I better come in like a category 5 hurricane when I win.  Simply put, GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Check out this video my coach made of my progress. Initially, I couldn't see the changes and if I did they were so small and irrelevant to me. I saw this video and was impressed myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypxY8GHwntY&list=PLC1FC3D4CD582882F


For those of you that don't know me, I will give you a brief little history on my knees.........why you ask??? Because I have to consider them every day with every workout and every activity I do.  I have had 4 knee surgeries consisting of both right and left ACL's and both lateral meniscus.  The ACL's stem from 2 soccer accidents and the lateral meniscus is from being a crazy workout woman not listening to her body.  Hence now, I listen.  These surgeries have a direct impact on my day to day life conscientiously and subconscientiously.  Although I consider my knees BIONIC KNEES, these surgeries have left me with a little list of problems that I will have to deal with the rest of my life.  My body is unbalanced, I have knee pain when doing certain activities, my IT Bands are so tight you could spring them, my hamstring lead way to hip problems and my piriformis (booty muscles) are jacked up (that's the technical term)! A lot of this could be subsided or avoided if I would stretch better (yes I even got certified in yoga so I would practice more often but don't ), use my roller and get regular massage.  Friday was butt detail day (imagine that, I was working on my glutes). I later set out on a run with the puppy and forty minutes into the run, my glutes and hip basically locked up causing so much pain I  couldn't push through running or even speed walking.  I had to hobble home with the dog dragging me the next 3 miles. Those 3 miles felt like an eternity.  Not only was I mad about not burning my calories, I felt bad that the puppy wanted to burn some major energy and I was slowing him down. Once I finally arrived home, I decided it was necessary to get a massage and get this worked out so it wouldn't impede my workouts for the rest of the weekend.  I finally found a new place called Massage Heights and scheduled a 90 minute massage and reflexology.  I usually opt for male masseuse but none were available and I was assured that the female was phenomenal and strong.  I typically doubt this but was in so much pain I agreed to give her a whirl.  Once I plopped down on the table, my masseur Yvonne made it clear she not only had the hand strength to get the job done but she also knew what she was doing and what she was looking for concerning my issues. I didn't mention to her any of my previous problems (or surgeries) and she pointed out a lot of my problems come from my right side although my left side was hurting. I already knew this because I have had problems for quite a while and knew it was stemming from overcompensating.  I was impressed she acknowledged that along with asking if I have TMJ (which I do, damn gum chewing) and stating that I must have digestive problems (yep, got those too)! She was so energetic and passionate about helping heal people that I felt better just being around her energy.  Yvonne recommended that I use my roller and get in a minimum of 3 times a month with her because it was going to be like starting over each time the longer I went without massage. I believe and agree with her on that.  When I was checking out, I met the owner, Terri Cicchetti, and we started talking about massage, my injuries and my competition.  She was so passionate about the purpose of her business. They really are into healing people and instilling knowledge rather than getting you in and out once a month. I spoke with Terri for awhile about her ideals on massage and how she started her business. When her son was in high school and obtained several sports injury, massage was part of his therapy and she saw the benefits and results.  Shortly after, her husband was diagnosed with cancer where again massage was recommended as therapy.  Seeing the benefits first hand made her realize their was a true need for massage therapy for others and therefore she started her business. It was so refreshing to know they are really interested in healing the body as she talked in depth with me about massage therapy for various injuries and problems.  I scheduled another massage the following Friday and I am looking forward to a little torture and a little relief.  So if you are in the area, I would highly recommend Massage Heights and Yvonne.  I'm excited to actually stick to a massage plan of therapy and see the improvements.

Well time to get back to packing for a quick work trip this week. That means a 4:30am wakeup call for 5:30am workout then home to get ready and head for the airport. I know I will get my workout in the morning and cardio later tomorrow night but what about Tuesday when my meetings start very early and go all day? Let's see how I handle it. I will keep you posted. Remember, train hard.............HAVE FUN!


My teammate Kya made these cool photos of me and Alice at the gym the other day! Love the sayings. Thanks girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment